Monday, January 14, 2013

Blog 2: The Price of Reading

In this reading we meet a 53 year old that has a weird obsession with books. I get the feeling that the author feels that books has some kind of weird power over us. Good lord. The reason I don't like reading is because it is boring. I don't understand why someone would want to sit there for hours reading words on a page. I know that reading makes you smarter and seem more intelligent, but there are a lot of other things you can do that help you with your intelligence. It seems to me that there are a lot better things to do. My problem is that once I start reading I tend to forget what I have already read, especially if it is boring. I read this piece and was already forgetting what I was reading. It did catch my attention when the author began to seem very OCD and kind of insane. I felt like the writer of this article had a weird fetish with the books that were read. One thing that stood out to me was when the author said "Sometimes I'll take it home and put it on the shelf without reading it just to tease the author, to make him wait." Seriously, I have no idea why you would want to do that. The reason people buy books is to read them. To tease the author? Sounds like a weird sexual fantasy with books. I don't know, this article hit me the wrong way. Maybe because it didn't interest me at all. It was a weird article. I guess it would be good for someone who enjoys to read and tease books.

No comments:

Post a Comment